Your paper should be composed as follows:
- at least 5 double-spaced pages
- 1-inch margins
- 12-point font (Times New Roman preferred)
For this assignment, you will apply your understanding of Organizational Leadership theories to a real-life agency. You should begin early in order to have enough time to complete the case study element of this assignment.
Begin the paper with a 2-3 page discussion of organizational theories (e.g., Classical, Human Relations), leadership theories (e.g., Skills Theory, Elite Theory), and the role Organizational Leadership plays in society.
You need to discuss at least three different theories of Organizational Leadership that are described in Chapter 2 of the textbook.
- Describe the main elements of the theories that you mention.
- Discuss and evaluate each theory in terms of how well-suited you think they are for public organizations. In other words, why should or shouldn’t government departments and agencies use each theory? Is there one that seems to be better (or worse) than the others? Be sure to clearly describe why you’ve reached that conclusion.
After you discuss and evaluate those theories, you need to conduct a case study of an agency at the state or local level of government or a non-profit organization. You may not choose a federal agency (like the IRS or the Department of Defense) – it must be at the state or local level. You may wish to email, call, or meet with someone in the organization so you can ask questions about how that agency operates.
Use the information you acquire to write about how the theories of Organizational Leadership apply to your chosen agency or organization.
- Be sure to give specific examples of how these theories are applied in the agency or organization.
- You may find that only one theory is applicable or that several fit your agency or organization.