Take a Stand / Op-Ed Essay
Purpose: The purpose of commentary is not simply to report things but to give readers a way to make sense of them. A commentary will help you write critically about a topic and will help you analyze this topic within a larger societal context. This should be an issue that connects to your idea of social justice: People should _____________ because ________________.
Audience: Your audience for this paper should be your classmates at JWU; fellow citizens of RI.
Genre: For this paper, your genre is in the form of a commentary.
Stance: Your stance should emulate the various tones and approaches weâ€™ll seen over the last three weeks in the different The New York Times / NPR / Colbert Report pieces.
Media/Design: This paper should be typed and take the form of an essay: 3 pages, double spaced, Times New Roman, with creative title.
- Give readers something to react to, think about or use to make sense of topic.
- You will not use an objective tone or take a neutral stance; you have a perspective.
- You are attempting to analyze and explain what is going on around you.
- You are asking your readers to consider one possible way of making sense of what has happened in the past and what is going on in the present.
- Your readers want a satisfying account of our shared experience and to find patterns of meaning that can make the world make more sense.
- Approach your readers as co-thinkers, you are asking them to look at the world from your perspective (whether they ultimately agree with you or not). Even through your perspective, you must negotiate differences fairly.
- While doing these things, refer to the Classical model and the Rogerian model – analyzing, classifying, and perhaps defining.
Finally, carefully consider voice (Sentence variety, parallelism, figurative language, and sound techniques) and be sure you have employed three of the techniques weâ€™ve discussed.
Write with passion and your readers will feel it.