ðŸŒ general things:
– no longer than 3 double-spaced pages. Paper should be 12 pt type, with one inch margins.no longer than 3 double-spaced pages each. Paper should be 12 pt type, with one inch margins.
– all conventions of attribution and notation. Quotes and paraphrasing must be explicitly cited. Memos found to include plagiarized material will be given an automatic â€œzeroâ€ and no make-up paper will be allowed.
– General advice for the paper:
Â§Donâ€™t Include language like â€œAccording to Milner in Interests, Institutions, and Information
Â§ Don’t include Floating quotes (usually donâ€™t quote at all)
Â§ don’t explicitly mention game theory. â€œNow I will use game theory to analyze this event.â€
Â§ don’t rhetorically ask questions (â€œWhy is suicide terrorism so successful?â€)
ðŸŒ The Readings:
1, Lars-Erik Cederman, Simon Hug & Lutz Krebs, â€œDemocratization and Civil War: Empirical Evidence,â€ Journal of Peace Research, July 2010.
2. Case: â€œThe Authoritarian Resurgence: Saudi Arabiaâ€™s Anxious Autocrats,â€ Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, April 15, 2015.
ðŸŒ Assignment Questions:
- You are advisor to the President of the United States. You have read all the literature on the democratic peace and must decide whether the President should try to encourage our least democratic ally (Saudi Arabia) to democratize. You must now decide whether to allow the House of Saud to continue as is, or to put pressure on the regime to pursue significant political reform designed to democratize the country? What policy would you pursue and why?