For this assignment, synthesize theory, research, and best practices to determine effective supervisor and leadership skills, then evaluate yourself as a supervisor and leader.
Be sure to familiarize yourself with all of the aspects of the assignment. Complete the paper using the sections of content as identified below. Use your text, previous readings in the course, and additional scholarly articles. Also use the NASW Code of Ethics, the NASW and ASWB Best Practice Standards in Social Work Supervision, and the NASW Standards and Indicators for Cultural Competency in Social Work Practice as you prepare the paper. Synthesize these resources into each section, as needed, to formulate your construct of best practices in leadership and supervision. The last section completes the paper with a self-reflection of your current level of leadership and supervision skills. Be sure to satisfy the additional requirements as you complete the paper.
Select the important aspects of leadership and supervision, from your research, that you want to use in designing best practices in supervision and leadership.
Identify qualities of a successful supervisor and leader based on theories of human behavior.
Research leadership and supervision skills and qualities based on theories of human behavior. Think in terms of theoretical bases that contribute to the success of social work supervisors. What are the qualities and skills that help a supervisor with their day-to-day duties? What are the qualities and skills that help with higher-level planning for an organization? Identify the theory(ies) of human behavior you select to align best with these supervisor and leader skills.
Apply transformational leadership theory and other leadership theories, such as critical or conflict theory, to inform best practice.
- Identify the aspects of transformational leadership theory and critical or conflict theory that you see as most important in establishing in leadership and supervision best practices.
In this section, also identify the components from NASW Code of Ethics, the NASW and ASWB Best Practice Standards in Social Work Supervision, and the NASW Standards and Indicators for Cultural Competency in Social Work Practice that you want to include in your synthesis of best practices in supervision and leadership.
- Create a summary of best practices in leadership and supervision that integrates leadership theories including transformational and either critical or conflict theory, and includes culturally competent practice.
- Synthesize the research content that you identified in Section 1 into the categories below to inform the model of best practices that you create.
Developing effective organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
Managing time and tasks effectively.
Managing different personalities and conflict, hiring, performance evaluation, disciplinary action, and termination.
- Maintaining ethics, confidentiality, and liability.
Practicing professional development, self-care, personal reflection, and self-correction.
- Developing and managing an effective culturally competent practice including organizational culture and environment.
- Section 3
- Identify collaborative leadership skills to train supervisees in the effective use of technology in the delivery of social services.
- In Section 3, continue to use the research that you identified in Section 1 to identify best practices of a collaborative leader in training supervisees in the effective use of technology.
- Section 4
- Reflect on personal strengths and challenges related to social work leadership and supervision best practices.