Waiting for Superman Reflection Questions
- In Waiting for Superman, five families were followed on their journey to enroll their children in public schools where students are challenged and supported in programs that prepare them for college. What is your vision of a great public school? What are the key characteristics of a great school?
- In the film, several examples of schools are characterized by a culture of low expectations and low achievement. What do you believe are the root causes of chronically low-performing schools? What is being done to improve them? What should be done?
- Research shows that what happens outside of school – such as neighborhood violence or inadequate health care or housing – has a significant impact on classroom learning and student achievement. In your experience, what is the relationship between neighborhood quality of life and student achievement?
- In what ways did this film challenge, confirm, and/or provide context for your thoughts and attitudes towards our education system?
- After seeing Waiting for Superman, what do you see as the role of social workers as it pertains to the education system? Be sure to draw on class lectures and apply social work theories, approaches, practices, or values in your response.