pplication: Academic and Professional Development Plan
Throughout this course, you have been learning about the dispositions and competencies needed to succeed as a student in this master’s program and as a health care administrator. In this Application Assignment, you will integrate this knowledge into a plan for your continued academic and professional development.
Develop your plan as follows:
Scholar-practitioner model: Consider how your understanding of what it means to be a scholar-practitioner in health care administration has grown since the beginning of this course. Review your Week 1 Application Assignment as needed.
Academic integrity: Review the information presented in Week 4, and think about how you will demonstrate values related to academic integrity as you proceed through this master’s program.
Scholarly/professional writing: Assess current strengths and areas for growth related to your ability to identify and engage in scholarly/professional writing. Review the information presented in Week 4, and consider which aspects of scholarly/professional writing you would like to more fully develop or refine. Think about how you will do that.
Challenges related to the master’s program: Think about two or three challenges you are likely to encounter as a student in this online master’s program. You may draw from your Week 1 Application Assignment and/or consider challenges that have arisen during this course. For instance, challenges may be related to time management, engaging in formal academic writing, communicating in the online Discussions, managing technology needs, balancing multiple priorities and expectations, dealing with procrastination, letting go of perfectionism, etc.
Identify strategies for addressing the challenges. Which ones are you are willing to commit to utilizing? Why?
Challenges related to the profession: Think about the challenges in health care administration that you have learned about throughout this course. Which ones do you think you are most likely to encounter in a current or future health care administration position? What can you do to begin addressing those challenges?
Professional competencies: Consider the dispositions and managerial competencies presented in this week’s Learning Resources. How would you evaluate yourself in terms of strengths and areas for growth? Identify four or more competencies that are a priority for development based on your current needs for growth, and consider strategies for improvement.
With this in mind, write a 4-page paper in which you cohesively:
- Explain what it means to be a scholar-practitioner in health care administration
- Describe how you will exemplify values related to academic integrity
- Assess your current strengths and areas for growth regarding scholarly/professional writing, noting strategies that could help you improve in this area
- Describe two or three challenges you are likely encounter as a student in this master’s program, as well as strategies for addressing them
- Identify two or three potential challenges in a current or future health care administration position, and describe specific strategies for addressing them
- Describe four or more key competencies required of effective health care administrators that you most need to cultivate and explain why. Outline strategies for developing these competencies
Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure your in-text citations and reference list are correct.