Watch the film first, then write a paper of it.
- 1) a brief (one paragraph) summary or overview of the film;
- 2) a one page analysis or discussion of a film in terms of what it shows about cultural life;
- 3) your personal response or thoughts about the film.
This term the course will focus especially on the following themes:
- Tensions between modernity and tradition
- Gender as a cultural construction
- The impact of history and politics on everyday life
- Self-making and ethical subjectivity
- Religion in Asian film and cultural life