Operation Management Assignment
The main topic: Samsung producing new smartphone
The final project for this course is the creation of a project management plan. In Assignment One, you will submit the operations management section (Section I) of your project management plan. Assess the history and trends of operations management, focusing on the business or company from your business plan in the Marketing and Strategy course. Provide rationale for the selection of your business development opportunity. Detail initial estimates of demand based on your forecasts and justify your selection of forecasting methods. Determine site location(s) and provide specific quantitative rationale for your selection.
Consider the underlying business information needs of the new business and what information requirements will be needed. Outline the management information structure of the proposed business information system for your new business opportunity as part of the overall proposal based on the feedback received from Module Two. Consider specific IS concepts outline your proposed system. For example, what elements do you plan to incorporate into your management information system? What linkages in the information structure are proposed?
.Specifically, the following critical elements must be addressed:
- Clearly explain your companyâ€™s strategy to support the business goal of your chosen business opportunity in technical terms such as pricing, differentiation, and responsiveness.
- Provide an initial demand forecast for your product/service for the first six months of operation.
- Discuss the technical rationale for your forecasting method and why it is better than other methods of forecasting.
- Assess the significant forces that have shaped operations management in recent history. How did these forces impact the business operations of your company? If your company does not yet exist, how do you envision these forces will impact the business operations of your company?
- Critique the key obstacles and issues that confronted company management during the evolution of operations management into the modern era. How did your companyâ€™s management handle these obstacles? If your company did not exist then, how do you think they would have responded to these issues?
- Assess changes to operations management philosophies and organizational structures in response to the evolving complexity of business operations. In other words, what has changed and why?
- Analyze the business operations of your selected company. Consider questions such as these in your response: What organizational processes does the company use? How do the business operations support the strategic plan, mission, and vision of the company? What factors affect productivity and profitability?
- Determine the key trends in production, quality, resource, and information management with a focus on the business operations of your company.
- Assess the impact of these key trends on the business operations of your selected company and on the business product, service, or other idea in your business plan.
Guidelines for Submission: Your paper should adhere to the following formatting requirements: It is submitted as an APA-style Microsoft Word (or open source) document, 10-11 pages (not including title and reference pages), double-spaced, using 12-point Times New Roman font and one-inch margins. There should be a minimum of two references cited in APA format.
(the following point in 1-2 pages)
- Companyâ€™s Strategy
- Demand Forecast
- Technical Rationale
(the following point in 8-9 pages)
- Significant Forces
- Key Obstacles
- Business Operations
- Key Trends