For this assignment, review the collaboration scenarios in the presentations Collaboration Scenarios – Mental Health Counselor Scatterdesk in this unit’s study, and select one of the scenarios.
Complete the following for the scenario you selected:
- Describe how and with whom each of the professionals might collaborate to respond to legal or ethical issues described in the scenario. How does the quality of the interaction impact the service provided to the clients or students?
- Describe the role and function each professional would serve in terms of assessing or responding to any of the legal or ethical issues that may arise when working with this client or student.
- Imagine that you are the counselor working with this client, and you will be serving as the lead person to coordinate efforts among the team of professionals at this setting.
- What are some ways in which you might initiate collaboration efforts to resolve the legal and ethical issues?
- What methods will you use to communicate?
- How will you know if these strategies are effective?
- Include in your response references to at least two specific state laws and two specific codes from the 2014 ACA Code of Ethics that relate to your case.
- Develop an effective communication to one of the professionals assisting your client:
- For the client in the mental health counselor scenario: You and the client agree she would meet with a new psychiatrist for an evaluation. Compose a letter that you would send, with the client’s permission, to the psychiatrist. In the letter, describe the reason for your referral, the relevant information you would like the psychiatrist to have about the client, and the information you would like to receive after the evaluation is completed. (You may need to make up some of the details about the client and your work with her.)
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Develop accurate written communication and thoughts that convey the overall goals of the assignment and do not detract from the overall message. Your paper should demonstrate graduate-level writing skills.
- References: Your reference list must include at least two sources from current peer-reviewed journals. You must use APA sixth edition style to list your references. Refer to the iGuide page APA Style and Format for more information.
- Number of pages: The length of your paper should be 3–5 double-spaced pages. Note: Page count does not include cover page or references.
- Formatting: Use APA sixth edition formatting, including correct in-text citations, proper punctuation, double-spacing throughout, proper headings and subheadings, no skipped lines before headings and subheadings, proper paragraph and block indentation, no bolding, and no bullets. Refer to the iGuide page APA Style and Format for more information.
You are required to submit your final version of this paper to Turnitin to generate a final report prior to submitting the assignment for grading. From the Turnitin tool, first submit to the draft link to check your work for any necessary edits. Once the paper is finalized and all edits have been made, submit your final paper to the Final report option for the assignment. Please be advised it can take up to a day to obtain the percentage from Turnitin. When your paper is downloaded and viewable in Turnitin, save the originality report. Refer to the Turnitin tutorial: Viewing Originality Reports (linked in the Resources) for guidance.
- Submit your assignment using the following file naming format: Your Name_AssignmentNumber_Assignment Title (example: Ima_Learner_u03a1_ClientDescription).
- In the comment section, provide the percentage from the final Turnitin report (example: Final turnitin percentage = 4%). Please be prepared to provide your faculty member with a copy of the Turnitin report should this be requested of you.
Be sure to read the Collaborating With Human Services Professionals Scoring Guide.