This assignment requires you to do 5S for a process of your choice; my hope is that it will be somewhat fun to do, especially if you have never done a 5S event before. In lecture we discussed 5S should be completed by the folks who do the job and have some guidance/input from someone training them on it. If it is possible for you to do 5S this way (you be the facilitator/trainer) I definitely encourage you to considering trying it out, but it is not absolutely required.
Use the textbook (pgs 206-212), the lecture notes, and the “Jabil – 5S” attached to this assignment to guide you. You will choose what process/location you want to 5S. If you are currently working, you could do it with your company. You could do 5S for a location in your home if you do not have access to a workplace. You have free rein and should spend some time thinking about the best process/location you want to utilize for this assignment. Feel free to email me if you want to check if your idea for a process/location to 5s will be suitable or not.
As a final deliverable, you will need to submit a Word or PowerPoint document that contains all of the following information:
- What process/location you want to “5S” and why.
- Pictures and description of the current state.
- A process map or swimlane diagram of the current state.
- The actual 5S steps you take with documentation of what you are doing and why, and of course many many pictures along the way.
- The final result with a description and process map of the “new” process, and concluding remarks where you discuss results and how this “5Sed” process allows anyone to distinguish between normal and abnormal conditions at a glance , and how it resulted in a more efficient process.