This discussion board relates to this week’s learning objective: Discussion of the criminal justice system and criminal justice policy in America in addition to the roles, skills, values, and ethics of a social worker. Examine the existence or risk of a crisis, trauma, or disaster in client’s lives and how a social worker navigate their role and ethics within that. Analyze self-care strategies and determine how we can take care of ourselves to prevent burnout or secondary trauma.
The purpose of this discussion board is to introduce you to the justice system and its policies and procedures in America. Additionally you will become more familiar with navigating the resources and structure of the criminal justice system. You will also learn to identify if their clients have experienced (or are in danger of experiencing) a crisis, trauma, or disaster. You will discuss how crises, traumas, and disasters can influence a client’s life.
Lastly, you will learn about self-care strategies and create/discuss your own self-care strategies in order to promote positive and healthy functioning. You will discuss the impact that burnout, secondary trauma, and vicarious trauma can have on a social worker and on any person.
First Read the Harjo Case Study. Harjo Case Study Also read through the supplemental information on the city of Globe. Harjo Case Study-Globe Supplemental Information. Then address the following questions in your response:
- What is 1 crisis or traumatic experience that has happened to your client, and how has it affected them? If you do not believe that your client has experienced trauma/crisis, what is one crisis/traumatic experience that could arise if the client does not receive proper care?
- Discuss 2 self-care techniques you would use to manage the emotional stress you would face as a social worker (Ex: hobbies, socializing, diet, exercise, etc.). Why do you think those two would help you the most?
- How does the criminal justice system play a role in your client’s life currently?
- How would you work with your client to prevent any future legal/justice issues?
- What is one question that you have about your case study/client and its relation to this week’s module material?
Posts should be no less than 300 words and no more than 500 words.