To prepare for this Assignment, select a public health issue of interest to you (e.g., obesity, diabetes, cancer, HIV/AIDS, mental health).
In a 5 page report:
- Describe the specific population(s) (ethnic or racial group, homosexuals, veterans, women, children, adolescents, etc.) affected by the health issue you selected. Explain how this population is discriminately affected by the health issue you selected.
- Explain the primary determinants of the health issue. Then, explain how these determinants contribute to the disparities in care for the population.
- Explain what specific social work interventions you might implement to address this health issue, reduce or eliminate disparities, and improve health outcomes.
- Identify some challenges you may encounter when implementing the interventions. Then, explain the strategies you might employ to address these challenges.
- Explain the advocacy roles a medical social worker might play in addressing the disparities in health care for the health issues and population you selected.
Gehlert, S., & Browne, T. (Eds.). (2012). Handbook of health social work (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. Chapter 7, “Community and Health” (pp. 143–163)
Gehlert, S., & Browne, T. (Eds.). (2012). Handbook of health social work (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. Chapter 4, “Public Health and Social Work”Section: “History of Public Health and Social Work” (pp. 65–67)
Section: “Common Values” (pp. 70–75)
Coren, E., Iredale, W., Rutter, D., & Bywaters, P. (2011). The contribution of social work and social interventions across the life course to the reduction of health inequalities: A new agenda for social work education? Social Work Education, 30(6), 594–609.
Errickson, S. P., Alvarez, M., Forquera, R., Whitehead, T. L., Fleg, A., … Schoenbach, V. J. (2011). What will health-care reform mean for minority health disparities? Public Health Reports, 126(2), 170–175. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056029/
Nguyen, D. D., Ho, K. H., & Williams, J. H. (2011). Social determinants and health service use among racial and ethnic minorities: Findings from a community sample. Social Work in Health Care, 50(5), 390–405.
Robinson, L. M., Dauenhauer, J., Bishop, K. M., & Baxter, J. (2012). Growing health disparities for persons who are aging with intellectual and developmental disabilities: The social work linchpin. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 55(2), 175–190.