Application: Paper on Smoking Addiction and Cessation or on the Biopsychology of Emotions
For this week’s Assignment, you select one of the topics below and synthesize the research related to the topic. The first topic asks you to examine smoking addiction and cessation. The second topic asks you to evaluate the biopsychology of emotions.
Select one of the topics below and write a 10-page paper. Use the current literature to support your paper. Cite at least ten peer-reviewed references in APA style.
- Smoking Addiction and Cessation
Using the Walden Library research at least ten articles related to smoking addiction and smoking cessation. Explain the potential effects of smoking addiction on appetite, stress, and health. Also explain how smoking cessation affects appetite, stress, and health.
- Biopsychology of Emotions:
Using the Walden Library research at least ten articles related to the facial feedback hypothesis of emotional experience. Synthesize the research related to the facial feedback hypothesis. Critique the studies and propose a potential study to enhance research in this area.
- Breedlove, S. M., & Watson, N. V. (2018). Behavioral neuroscience (8th ed.) New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Chapter 15, “Emotions, Aggression, and Stress”
- Lehmann, M., & Herkenham, M. (2011). Environmental enrichment confers stress resiliency to social defeat through an infralimbic cortex-dependent neuroanatomical pathway. The Journal of Neuroscience, 31(16), 6159–6173. Retrieved from http://www.jneurosci.org/content/31/16/6159.full.pdf+html
- Sapolsky, R. M. (1998). Depression, antidepressants, and the shrinking hippocampus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 98(22), 12320–12322. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11675480
- Stress-Defeating effects of exercise traced to emotional brain circuit. (2011). Bethesda, Maryland, US: US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH).
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
- Sinauer Associates, Inc. (Producer). (2010). The stress response and pathologic consequences of prolonged stress. Available from https://www.bn8e.com/
- TED Conferences, LLC. (n.d.). Robert Sapolsky: The uniqueness of humans. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_sapolsky_the_uniqueness_of_humans?language=en