Nguyen, The Sympathizer
Discuss the narrator’s efforts to work on the set of the film The Hamlet (chiefly Chapters 8-11).
1) Does he succeed in helping to give the Vietnamese characters a voice?
2) Explain the narrator’s critique and satire of Asian stereotypes in cinema through his commentary on the film while he is on the movie set. (Suggestion: A body paragraph can be devoted to the two parts of the question.)
- The first paragraph briefly introduces the work (2-4 sentences) and culminates in an analytic thesis statement.
- Two body paragraphs (after the intro. paragraph): topic sentences, careful paragraph organization; very brief concluding paragraph (approx. 2 sentences)
- Length: about 2 pages, double spaced, Times New Roman (normally, responses do not need to exceed 3 pages)
- At least 2 direct quotations: brief, well integrated (framed), MLA citations; paraphrasing as necessary
- Work Cited (MLA format) – see an MLA guide in an English composition handbook and/or Purdue Owl
- Please note: Do not use secondary sources for portfolio responses. Drawing from or paraphrasing from Internet sources (or other secondary sources) constitutes plagiarism on the assignment.
- Do your best to follow the examples of good quotation form; see an MLA guide in an English composition handbook and/or Purdue Owl, and especially the class PDF “Study Skills/Essay Guide.” As students in introductory classes are working on various protocols of academic writing, such as quote form, grading is lenient in such areas at the beginning of the semester; still, do you best to follow the examples provided.