Asian American Research
For this week and the last we have been looking at an overview of Asian American Theatre, some of its origins and traditions, as well as a brief look at where this culturally specific kind of theatre stands today nationally and more locally. We also looked at individuals like David Henry Hwang, who have helped bring Asian American Theatre to more prominence in the United States.
Consider your overall outlook, knowledge and familiarity with Asian history in the U.S. and the potential struggles that Asian Americans have endured in the last century(s) as there was mass migrations in the middle of the 1800’s. Looking at the Asian American experience in America is important as we consider the building blocks of our nation, with railroads, industry, internment camps during WWII, the deep culture of education and tradition that is so socially important to the overall history of this group of study and the important contributions that we as a society have enjoyed from key figures in Asian American history.
We can all speak with a certain level of experience and knowledge, either directly or indirectly, to what we think would be important elements and issues to discuss within the Asian American culture.
There have been many incredibly talented artists that have made their impact on the genre either as a playwright or performer like B.D. Wong (Law and Order), who is also a director, directing for television and for the stage or, in the areas of design, like Ming Cho Li who is one of the most renowned scenic designers in the entire field of scenic design in the last 50 years. Yet, their work and the work of so many current Asian American artists may have never seen their art produced or appreciated if not for the well spring of Asian American Theatre companies that have come up and thrived all over the U.S.
Below is a list of the current working Theatres that focus their energy and skill in the producing of Theatre that is in some way with an Asian/Asian American priority.
Your assignment is to choose ONE Theatre from this list below and go to its website and explore it.
Please research your choice and write a two page summary of your findings.
Suggested areas of discussion:
The Theatre’s overall mission statement
The Theatres history
Has it been a successful company?
What kind of plays does this Theatre do or style of Theatre?
The Theatre’s subscription base and its specific demographic
The Theatre’s impact on its community
Who are the individuals that are at the heart of that Theatre?
A summary of your your thoughts and discoveries about the Theatre. Would you like to go to a show there? Why or why not?
You may include supporting pictures if you like.
Your paper should be at least two pages double spaced.
- Asian American Repertory Theatre, San Diego,
- Asian American Theater Company, San Francisco,
- Asian Story Theater, San Diego
- Bindlestiff Studio, San Francisco
- Cedar Grove OnStage, Los Angeles
- Chinatown 90210, Los Angeles
- Chinese Pirate Productions, San Diego
- Contemporary Asian Theater Scene (CATS),
- East West Players, Los Angeles,
- Grateful Crane Ensemble, Pasadena
- hereandnow Theatre Company, South Pasadena
- Korus Players, New York City
- Kumu Kahua Theatre, Honolulu, Hawaii,
- Lapu the Coyote that Cares Theatre Company, University of California, Los Angeles
- Lodestone Theatre Ensemble, Los Angeles
- Ma-Yi Theatre Company, New York City
- Mu Performing Arts, Minneapolis
- National Asian American Theatre Company (NAATCO), New York City,
- Pan Asian Repertory Theatre, New York City
- Pangea World Theatre, Minneapolis
- Second Generation (theatre), New York City
- Silk Road Theatre Project, Chicago
- SIS Productions, Seattle, Washington
- Stanford Asian American Theater Project, Stanford University
- TeAda Productions, Santa Monica, California
- Theatre Esprit Asia, Denver, Colorado
- Theatre Rice, University of California, Berkeley
- Vampire Cowboys Theatre Company, New York City
- Youth for Asian Theater,
- San Francisco
(Make sure that the Theatre you are researching is still in operation. This list may have changed in the last two years.)