Assignment 3: Leadership Personal Issues and the Rules of Law
Due Week 8 and worth 200 points
Law enforcement in America has seen drastic changes over the past one hundred years, from the educational requirements of officers to the interpretation of the bill of rights. Law enforcement officers today are expected to perform their duties at a very high level of professionalism and morality. Unfortunately, when officers don’t perform at this high level it is their commanders who ultimately may be held responsible for their actions. Use your textbook, the Internet, and / or Strayer library to research credible sources on the aforementioned issues as they relate to law enforcement operations and management.
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
- Examine the higher (postsecondary education) requirements that police hiring agencies have for potential candidates. Support or critique the requirement that officers possess such an education.
- Compare and contrast the fundamental differences between arrest and searches and seizures conducted with and without warrants. Provide a rationale for why these areas are important as they relate to the Bill of Rights and Fourth Amendment guarantees.
- Compare and contrast the main ways in which Packard’s crime-control model and the due process model differ in the matter of police ethics. Provide your opinion on which of the two (2) approaches lends itself to the possibility of ethical violations in law enforcement?
- Hypothesize two (2) situations where police supervisors may be held criminally liable for their officers’ misconduct.
- Use at least four (4) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Illustrate the constraints on the police in democratic societies to include personal issues and practices, the rule of law, general principles of accountability, ethics, and civil liability.
- Assess management and leadership challenges in police organizations and recommend solutions that foster an ethical work environment.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in law enforcement operations and management.
- Write clearly and concisely about law enforcement operations and management using proper writing mechanics.
*****Additional information for the paper: