IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING WORD LIMIT REQUIREMENTS:
Please note that each and every assignment has its own word limit.
This discussion should be between 150 and 200 words. (The List of References should not be included in the word count.)
Discussion 1: Homeland Security Presidential Directive 5: Management of Domestic Incidents (HSPD-5)
Homeland Security Presidential Directive 5 (HSPD-5) was executed by President Bush in 2003 to encourage a more coordinated federal response to emergency situations in the United States. It is very proscriptive with regard to what is required by the federal government, and there are strong ramifications for local governments. Even school districts need a strategy to deal with HSPD-5, even though the executive order itself is federal. Some have claimed that HSPD-5 oversteps the boundaries of federalism, yet others claim that it has encouraged a more expedient and cooperative response to large scale emergencies.
For this Discussion, consider whether or not HSPD-5 has had a direct impact on local disaster response. Then, consider whether that impact has had a beneficial, harmful, or negligible effect on domestic disaster response. Finally, consider whether or not any aspects of HSPD-5 should be changed or amended now that it has been in effect for a number of years and why.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 3 your position on the impact of HSPD-5, that is, do you think it is beneficial, harmful, or has little to no impact.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Discussion should be 150 to 200 words with at least three references…. MULTIPLE USE OF INTEXT CITATION AND PAGE NUMBER…..PLEASE USE SPLIT IN CITATIONS…PLEASE LOOK UP THE PROPER APA USE OF SPLIT CIATION
It is important that you cover all the topics identified in the assignment. Covering the topic does not mean mentioning the topic BUT presenting an explanation from the context of ethics and the readings for this class
To get maximum points you need to follow the requirements listed for this assignments 1) look at the page limits 2) review and follow APA rules 3) create subheadings to identify the key sections you are presenting and 4) Free from typographical and sentence construction errors.
REMEMBER IN APA FORMAT JOURNAL TITLES AND VOLUME NUMBERS ARE ITALICIZED.
Assessment: You will be required to take one Emergency Management Institute (EMI) course this week. See the Assignment area for more details.
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute. (2010, October 12). IS-100.b: Introduction to incident command systems, ICS-100. Retrieved from http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/courseOverv…
- Haddow, G. D., Bullock, J. A., & Coppola, D. P. (2014). Introduction to emergency management (5th ed.). Waltham, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Chapter 6, “The Disciplines of Emergency Management: Response”
- Office of the White House Press Secretary. (2003 February 28). Homeland security presidential directive 5: Directive on management of domestic incidents. Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, 39(10), 280–285. Retrieved from https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=439105
- FEMA. (n.d.). NIMS resource center. Retrieved March 16, 2012, from http://www.fema.gov/national-incident-management-s…