Create a Do-It-Yourself Professional Development Plan
According to NAEYC, effective practices involving technology “allow children to explore digital materials in the context of human interactions, with an adult as mediator and co-player” (NAEYC, 2012, p. 1). Technology has changed the socio-cultural environment globally, and we, as educators of young children, need to change how we approach social and emotional support for our children. The perceptions of the effects computers and other technology tools have on social and emotional development of young children may influence the acceptance and use of technology in early care and education settings. This is also true for children with special needs who may benefit from interactive media as well as assistive technologies (AT).
Successful technology integration is more than just having technology available. Your technology integration should reflect effective classroom practices. Once you have examined what level of access you have and what possibilities this access affords you, it is time to address your own comfort level with the technology. You can then begin to seek out professional development opportunities online and outside of your current setting to begin to connect with other educators exploring the same challenges and seeking solutions.
To complete this assignment
Please view the following:
- Using Technology to Support Young Children’s Social and Emotional Development PowerPoint (Links to an external site.)
- Why Social & Emotional Learning? (Links to an external site.)
- Selected examples of effective classroom practice involving technology tools and interactive media (Links to an external site.)
After reviewing the DIY Professional Development page (Links to an external site.):
(This page displays best in Chrome and should appear as seen below)
- Select a minimum of two resources from the Resource Roundup (resources are listed by topic).
- Create a four-to five-page paper (not including title and reference pages) that addresses the following:
- Discuss the technological tools you would like to introduce to the infants and toddler you work with (or will work with in the future).
- Explain how the selected technological tools will impact the social and emotional development of your selected group. Could this have been achieved without technology?
- Assess the anticipated steps you must take to ensure that you safely integrate technology while supporting children’s social and emotional development.
- Analyze whether the integration of technology is feasible based on the ages/stages of the children you will work and the time and resources.
Your paper must be formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. In addition to the course text, utilize at least two scholarly sources to support your points.
For more on levels of technology access and what that means for tech integration, read the blog post What Does “Technology Integration” Mean? (Links to an external site.) ( http://www.edutopia.org/blog/meaning-tech-integration-elementary-mary-beth-hertz)
- Assistive Technology (AT) for Infants, Toddlers, and Young Children. (Links to an external site.) (http://ectacenter.org/topics/atech/atech.asp)