1. Chapter Two discusses the Constitution and I think the link between the government shutdown is an interesting one. Read this article (Links to an external site.) and answer the following:
– How is this shutdown something that our Founding Fathers could have avoided when drafting the Constitution?
– What are other solutions that other countries have that could have allowed us a way forward to end this shutdown from a constitutional perspective?
2. Chapter Two also discusses the various amendments to the Constitution. Let’s focus on the 25th Amendment which deals with the removal of a president. Should the 25th Amendment be invoked for removing Donald Trump? Why or why not? Consider this article (Links to an external site.)
3. Chapter 3 discusses Federalism. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a federal system as applied to the United States? Why is perhaps it the best fit to the United States of the various systems available. As applied to a particular issue (ex: gay marriage or marijuana legalization) how might federalism be good for testing out ideas at the state level before adoption nationally/federally? How might it lead to problems (like supremacy clause or preemption issues)? Consider this article (Links to an external site.) on marijuana legalization and the constitutional issues that could arise.