Record what you ate for breakfast. In this case we are using Tim Horton’s French Vanilla and a Dole banana. Then examine the impact of the production process of the banana, the french vanilla (and all the products in the french vanilla like sugar) on health, illness, society and the environment.
Some questions to consider:
1) Are the animals humanely raised? (if there are any animal products in your breakfast)
2) What are they fed?
3) Are the products non-GMO?
4) What are “natural” flavorings?
5) Do the products/food contain nitrites?
6) Does the packaging contain BPA?
7) How does the production of your food contribute to deforestation, drought, climate change, or animal cruelty?
8) Are there pesticides and fertilizes used in your breakfast? (hint: for the Dole banana the answer is yes)
9) Antibiotics or growth hormones used? What affect do these have on you, the animals, or the environment?
1) Should be about 3-4 pages double spaced
2) Written in essay format (with an introduction and a conclusion)
3) You are allowed to write in first person (i.e “For breakfast I had…” )
4) Cite the sources used in a bibliography
I’ve attached the assignment instructions in full detail, and more questions that should be addressed for this assignment.
REMEMBER, THIS IS NOT A NUTRITION CLASS, BUT A HEALTH CONTROVERSIES CLASS, SO FOCUS ON THE IMPACTS OF PRODUCTION ON HEALTH, ILLNESS, SOCIETY AND THE ENVIRONMENT RATHER THAN THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS!