Submit Assignment: Critical Thinking Application
After reading through performance guidelines for critical thinking in the Petrie et al. (2011) textbook, as well as the journal entry
of Myers and Dyer (2006), this personal reflection and position paper will afford you the opportunity to articulate different viewpoints and apply critical thinking skills to a topic. Select a controversial topic within college athletics (for example, paying athletes, place of athletics in education, etc.) by researching peer-reviewed scholarly journal articles.
Develop an argument from the “doubters” and “believers” perspective. Use the following questions to guide your analysis:
- What are the issues and the conclusion?
- What are the reasons?
- What words or phrases are ambiguous?
- What are the value conflicts and assumptions?
- What are the descriptive assumptions?
- Does the reasoning contain fallacies?
- How good is the evidence?
- What significant information is omitted?
- How does your faith or religious practice, if at all, modify your arguments?
Length: 3–4 pages (including reference page)
Support your statements with evidence from the Required Studies and your research. Cite and reference your sources in APA style.
Myers, B., & Dyer, J. (2006). The influence of student learning style on critical thinking skill
Journal of Agricultural Education, 47(1), 43-52. doi:10.5032/jae.2006.01043. Retrieved from
Petrie, T. A., Hankes, D. M., & Denson, E. L. (2011). A student athlete’s guide to college success: Peak performance in class and life (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Wadsworth.