Coral reefs are among the most biologically diverse ecosystems on Earth. They are also among the most threatened ecosystems on Earth. For this assignment, you will discuss the importance of, threats to, and protection of, coral reefs.
Write a three to five page (3-5) paper in which you:
- Describe three (3) reasons coral reefs are important to ocean life then determine two (2) potential benefits coral reefs provide to both humans and the overall environment. Next propose three (3) economic or aesthetic benefits of coral reefs, and then explain which benefit you believe is most significant. Justify your response.
- Discuss three (3) threats that coral reefs are currently facing. Then, for each of your chosen threats, suggest two (2) reasons why these threats are occurring.
- Propose two (2) strategies to protect coral reef systems from the threats you mentioned in Section 2, with special consideration to the costs and benefits of each of the protection methods.
- Discuss whether or not you believe that the two (2) protection strategies you described in Section 3 should be implemented. Next, take a stance on whether you believe these actions should be strictly voluntary, or mandated by local, federal, or international law. Predict two (2) kinds of enforcement methods you believe would be most effective in ensuring their success.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources / references in this assignment, in addition to the course text. Note: Wikipedia and personal blogs do not qualify as quality resources.