You will be creating a case report in stages over four course topics. Use an example from your own personal practice, experience, or own personal/family; however, simulated cases are not acceptable for practice hours and therefore not acceptable for this assignment. Examples might include a patient with Duchesne’s muscular dystrophy. Huntington’s disease, Down’s syndrome, sickle cell anemia, BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 mutations, or other genetic disorder that you and/or the organization in which you practice may specialize in treating.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Include the following:
- Guidelines and reasons behind the FDA regulations for introducing new pharmaceutical agents (policy).
- The role that money and grants play in scientific advances; the economics of health care (capitalism).
- The role and involvement family plays into the health care decision.
For this assignment (Part 1 of the Case Report), write a 1,000-1,250 word paper incorporating genetics information learned from assigned readings in Topics 1 and 2. Include the following:
- Describe the disease, its prevalence, and its incidence.
- Discuss the laboratory testing that is possible.
You are required to complete your assignment using real-world application. Real-world application requires the use of evidence-based data, contemporary theories, and concepts presented in the course. The culmination of your assignment must present a viable application in a current practice setting. For more information on parameters for practice immersion hours, please refer to DNP resources in the DC Network.
Topic 1: Genetics and Genomics in Medicine
Topic 2: Genetic Sequence and Genetic Testing