This is an arguement paperï¼Œ5-7 pages.
Your grade will be determined by two factors.
a. Content: Your faithful application of the strategy for writing dialectical arguments. Your
grader will be looking for every step to be well represented. Moreover, these tasks
should be pursued in the spirit of open-mindedness, honesty, and integrity.
b. Form: The clarity of the essay matters. This assessment includes grammar and spelling.
The 8-Step Dialectical Form:
1. An introduction to the problem that seems to divide her and her “opponent”.
2. A demonstration that the opponent’s position is understood (done with a fair, generous, and
neutral representation of that position).
3. A statement of the contexts in which the opponent’s position may be valid or correct. (Note,
this does not mean explaining the position away.)
4. A statement of the writer’s initial position.
5. An explanation of the contexts in which the writerâ€™s position is valid or correct.
6. An articulation of those things that the writer and opponent share (assumptions,
experiences, perceptions, insights, values, principles.
7. Moving forward. An explanation of the way in which, because of considering the opponents
position and the writerâ€™s initial position, the writerâ€™s original position has been changed. (This
may include understanding that the opponentâ€™s position may compliment the writerâ€™s, or that
the opponentâ€™s position offers a way to correct the writerâ€™s initial position. It may even
include ways in which the writerâ€™s original position was correct in ways the writer did not
understand or see, or it may include ways in which the opponentâ€™s original position can
benefit from the writerâ€™s.)
8. An explanation of areas of further (mutual) discussion, exploration, and investigation.