1. What is the difference between holding property as”tenants in common” or “joint tenants with right of survivorship”. In particular, tell me what happens if one tenant dies in either of the examples above. Who will get the property owned by the dead person?
2. What are the requirements for a “deed” (a document to transfer title to property) to be valid?
3. Define “adverse possession” and then describe the requirements for adverse possession.
4. Define “easement” and “eminent domain”.
5. What is the purpose of zoning laws, and what must a property owner do to get permission to use his land in a way that is not allowed by the municipality or state?
Next, go to the Maricopa County Recorder’s Officewebsite.
First, tell me who Adrian Fontes is, and what his job is. Is he an elected or appointed official?
On the website, search for land documents that are in the name of a relative, or if no relatives or friends in the Phoenix area, a name similar to yours. If you want, you can select a business. Review at least three of those documents, and then tell me what they are. For each document note:
Name of the document:
Role of each of the parties:
Date the document was recorded:
State what you believe the purpose of the document is:
As I mentioned, do it for 3 different documents. Don’t do more than one of any one kind of document.
After you have listed the three documents, tell me whether or not this exercise is useful and helpful in learning about real estate law. Let me know one thing you have learned, or if you learned nothing, tell me that.